UNO Gas Exhaust Unit
The UNO Gas Exhaust Unit can be used for the direct exhaust of waste anesthetic and exhaled gas when using face masks for rats or mice. It can also be used for the indirect exhaust of excess anesthetic gas from the circle system with the UNO Micro Ventilator at various volume and pressure settings.
To avoid anesthetic gas spill and maintain optimal functioning of the unit, the gas mixture supply to the face masks should be set to a maximum of:
- Face mask – rat: -350 ml/min*1
- Face mask – mouse: -260ml/min*2
The supply of the anaesthetic gas mixture to the UNO Micro Ventilator (UMV) is set at a lower level, because with the use of the UMV and the correct size intubation tube, there is hardly any waste of anaesthetic gas mixture*3
*1 Rat Applications:
- tidal volume: ca. 2,5ml
- breathing frequency during anaesthetic: ± 60-70/min
- total breathing volume / min: 150 – 175 ml/min
- not all gas supplied is “used” by the rat and as a rule of thumb, the gas supply to the face mask is about twice the breathing volume/min, i.e. 300 – 350ml/min.
*2 Mouse Applications:
- tidal volume: ≤ 1ml
- breathing frequency during anaesthetic: ± 110 – 130/min
- total breathing volume / min: 110 – 130 ml/min
- not all gas supplied is “used” by the mouse and as a rule of thumb, the gas supply to the face mask is about twice the breathing volume/min, i.e. 220 – 260 ml/min.
- The supply of gas to the UMV for inhalation anaesthesia with ventilation through an intratracheal tube should be slightly higher than the total breathing volume per minute both for rat and mouse (taking into account the minimum required flow (supply) for the vaporizer).
- The UNO Gas Exhaust Unit can either be connected to an inhouse exhaust system or you can connect an Active Charcoal Absorbtion filter (to absorb the isoflurane) to the unit.
- There are specially designed valves for connecting the UNO Gas Exhaust Unit to other components of the anesthesia set-up. A valve connects the gas exhaust from two other components (such as a face mask and induction box) to the UNO Gas Exhaust Unit. This valve is also used to connect the gas supply to the face mask or induction box, and by switching the valve gas supply and gas exhaust can be changed from one item to the other. A specially designed valve for the connection of three other components is available upon request.